Thursday, April 2, 2009

No. 15 ~ Mike Portnoy ~


Oh boy... this is going to be a big one. A man who seriously has some of the biggest drum kit monsters I have ever seen...aside from being one of my biggest rock influences, Mike Portnoy is probably one of the most respected technical musicians in the Progressive Rock industry.




Mike's long list of Awards include 24 Modern Drummer Magazine Reader's Poll Awards including: 2004 Hall of Fame Inductee, Best Progressive Rock Drummer (12 years in a row!!), Best Clinician (twice), Best Educational Video/DVD for Liquid Drum Theater, and Best Recorded Performance of the Year (6 times) for Dream Theater's Awake, A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity, Scenes From A Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Score.

When he was a teenager, Mike Portnoy was awarded a scholarship to study at the Berklee College Of Music, where he met John Petrucci (guitarist) and John Myung (bassist) . Eventually forming the greatest progressive rock band we now know as Dream Theater. -**HUGE FAN of Dream Theater **-Mike, Petrucci, and Myung decided to stop studying in Berklee and make their own music, eventually hiring a vocalist James LaBrie and a psychotic keyboardists "Jordan Rudess". And to show you how amazing Dream Theater is...just watch this MV of them...



Guitar solo at 3:10
Keyboard solo at 3:50


The past few years since I've heard about Mike Portnoy, I have seen many of his Drum Instructional DVDs from Hudson Music and they are mind blowing-ly awesome!

Mike Portnoy In Constont Motion and Liquid Drum Theater.

One of the things I really like about Mike Portnoy is not only the fact that he drums technically but also the fact that he can make it sound sooo nice that it can even attract people who dont know a thing about drums...especially when people look at his drum kit....

and his Collection of Drums that TAMA (the drum company) has given to him...
Mike and his two kids...

Another reason why I like Mike Portnoy is because he is working in a band where he is really great but he is working in a band where every single musician awesome! Here are just some short videos them!

The bassist John Myung...


A crazy 10 minute intrumental in the Live at Budokan video.... includes addictive bass lick(John Myung), mind blowing guitar shredding-picking (John Petrucci) and keyboard/ drum duet (Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy)



To put it simply, Mike Portnoy = crazy/awesome drummer

Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater = AMAZING/Crazy/Mind-blowing/awesome/technical/powerhouse/ music!!!!

Mike Portnoy with Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) left
Mike with David Archuleta (an icon)...I'm referring to Mike.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I totally agree with you, btw I was looking at your post about Cobus and yes I believe he is awesome! I also am a drummer, younger but growing. I play at my church, love dream theater lol. I am going to school right now so can't afford/don't have room for a drumset but church and campus crusade for christ keep me going in the drumming and I love it. =) If you want to look at my blog it's not about drums completely, but I think I'll occasionally put up drum stuff that I'm looking at/like. I love that you are dedicating you blog to Christianity and drumming! See ya later.
Mike